This interview series features the same 4 questions to a variety of noteworthy people and a fifth question, specific for them.
Barry Schenker is a longtime gourmet vegan chef in the Berkeley, California area and this past November, he launched a new frozen dessert called Genuto: a 100% nut based gelato. I first met Barry at Berkeley Vegan Earth Day this past April, as Genuto and STAY VOCAL were sponsors. We instantly hit it off, as we’re both from the East Coast (Barry is from NYC), and love coffee. That’s obviously why my favorite Genuto flavor is the Double Espresso. For the moment, Genuto is only available at select stores in the San Francisco area, but keep requesting it at your local Whole Foods and it’ll make it there.
1. What’s the best thing that you ever got used?
A bicycle that I bought from a bike collector who had over 20 bikes, and wanted to pare down his inventory. Great bike—great price.
2. What’s the last thing that you took out of the recycling or trash to reuse somehow?
Nothing that I can think of.
3. What’s your favorite hot drink to get in a reusable travel mug?
Any dark roast from Peet’s.
4. How could YOU reuse a cereal box in your daily life?
I don’t eat cereal.
5. What are some ways that you or others have reused empty pints of Genuto?
I’ve never found a use for the containers, since they tend to fall apart from the moisture of the product and the freezing and defrosting. There might be of some use for growing seedlings, but I’ve never tried that application..